Sunday, April 22, 2012

How's Your Beer, Toots? (Brew Day)

This is beer before it's beer. I have my iBrewmaster app up on my iPad next to my various ingredients for this brew. I used flaked oats, chocolate, caramel/crystal, light dry extract, tootsie rolls, Crystal hops (not pictured), unsweetened cocoa (also, not pictured), and Nottingham dry yeast. 
The grains (chocolate, oats, caramel/crystal) begin to steep as I ramp up the temperature from the tap to 150 degrees. 


The wort begins to boil after the Light DME and tootsie roll additions. It looks nothing like any wort I've made before, just looks (and smells) exactly like chocolate.
Before pitching the Notty yeast, the wort needs to cool down to about 60 degrees. Luckily I got it down to about 57 before transferring to the carboy and letting it come back up to the optimum temp for Notty.
After transferring and pitching the yeast all that's left to do is wait. 

In about a week, I'll transfer it off the yeast cake and into another carboy to allow it to settle a bit. On transfer day next week I will be brewing my next batch. If my calculations are correct this beer is going to come out to about 9% ABV. The chocolate smell is awesome and the addition of crystal hops really works well with the smell and taste of it all. Hopefully this one ends up as good as it started.


No comments:

Post a Comment